There has never been a better time to own Hawthorne rental properties. This is because, more than ever, people are choosing to rent rather than buy a home. In fact, a lot more people believe renting makes more sense, whether it is because of their personal or financial circumstances or something else. In order to capitalize on the current number of renters in the market, you must understand why more and more people find renting a smarter option than buying. We have some insight into this question and a few tips to help property owners like you make the most of the increasing number of renters in markets around the country.
3 Reasons to Rent
For many people, the choice to rent instead of buy is based on many different factors. While some reasons are personal, there are a few that most people who prefer to rent have in common. These include:
- No additional costs. Some tenants rent, instead of buy, because it helps them avoid additional costs related to homeownership. In the majority of the cases, tenants do not have to pay for maintenance and repairs, property taxes, or come up with a down payment to buy a house. They also enjoy knowing how much their housing will cost each month so they can spend their extra income on other things.
- Access to amenities. Another good reason to rent is to be able to live nearer to certain amenities. It is likely a lot easier to get a rental home near a downtown arts and culture center than buying one. Other amenities tenants look for include public transportation, certain school districts, or access to public recreation areas.
- More flexibility and freedom. A lot of renters like leasing their homes because of the flexibility and freedom it offers versus owning a house. These renters like knowing that they could move if and when they need to. Others like being free from the worries of property values or downsizing if their situation changes.
Are You Appealing to Long-Term Renters?
Leasing to people who prefer to rent instead of buying might require you to change your approach to renting your property. It is worth making a few small changes, especially if it helps you optimize your rental income.
Some of the things landlords and property owners can do to ensure you realize your rental property’s potential is the following:
- Update and upgrade regularly. Those who stay in a rental home for a while want to be sure that the home will be properly maintained and updated every now and then. By scheduling even small but important updates, you show your concern for your tenant’s satisfaction and they will want to stay in your rental longer.
- Upsell services and amenities. If your rental property is located near places people love to gather or be entertained, highlight this information in your marketing materials. And, depending on your renter demographic, you can offer some add-on services that your tenant might be willing to pay extra for, such as internet access, landscape maintenance, pest control, and so on.
- Offer attractive terms. Most renters who plan to stay in their homes on a long-term basis will often look for lease terms they find appealing. These can include flexible lease lengths or allowing pets. You can also include extra benefits like an easy renewal process and easy rental payment options.
- Use a good property management company. Finally, one of the best ways to attract and keep quality tenants in your rental property is to hire a professional Hawthorne property management company like Real Property Management California Coast. Our local market experts can help you plan and budget your property maintenance and repairs, make updates, and find tenants who will want to stay in your rental long-term.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.